Have you ever wondered why some folks are organized and some folks aren’t? I usually ponder that question as I am sorting through the piles of papers that have accumulated in my car, desk and bedroom.
Thankfully, I am surrounded by folks who are very organized. I’m hoping their skills and gifts will rub off on me. 🙂
One of those wonderful folks is my fellow writer, critique partner, and very good friend, Jean Matthew Hall. She always has the emails I’ve somehow lost or deleted. She has notes anywhere and everywhere – in much the same way I keep chocolate handy!
Another organized buddy is my college pal, Susan. She has rubbed off on me more than she’ll ever know. We are the exact opposite in many aspects, including in regards to organization, but that is one of the ways we learn from each other! 🙂
And my husband – bless his heart! He is even more organized than Jean or Susan…and that is saying a lot! I drive him crazy with my haphazard filing system and the way I deal with laundry. His gray hairs have my name all over them!
They are all great influences in my struggles with organization. I learn different lessons from each one of them – and they are slowly rubbing off on me. Very slowly. Think SLOTH slow.
Are there folks in your life who have helped shape your organizational habits…or lack thereof? Were you born organized? Are you the influence for someone else?
Here are a few things I’ve learned from my group of organized buddies —
- clean out the car after every trip to the drive through. (now if I’d only follow that advice!)
- don’t bring the junk mail into the house. Throw it away, RIGHT away.
- if you want clean dishes at all times, eat out. (that is one of my hub’s contributions, but he doesn’t want us to use it very often!)
- organize stuff a little at a time everyday so you don’t get overwhelmed.
- find a place for something, and always put it there when you aren’t using it. (again, my hubsters idea. it works beautifully for him.)
What are some of your favorite organizational tips? Who helped influence this aspect of your life?