My husband, kids and I love to go hiking.
Wait…let me revise that first statement.
My husband and I love to go hiking.
The kids like to go as long as – 1. I have plenty of snacks 2. It’s not too cold or too hot 3. The hike is no longer than 2 miles 4. We take plenty of breaks 5. We get ice cream afterward. (I’m actually with them on all the points except for number three. I like a minimum of 4 miles in a hike.)
So today, I’m going to share some links and info on hiking, bears and nature in general. If you hike or know someone who does, feel free to pass this post along to them!
1.NPS- National Parks Service website. Each page is like the tip of the NPS iceburg. Too much good info on that site to see in one sitting.
2. Bears. Yep – they are in the woods. (Shocker, I know!) But will they attack sleeping humans? Can Grizzlies climb trees? Click HERE for the answers. It’s from the NPS website. (I told you it was informative.) That link is specifically for Denali Park in Alaska, but the general info on bears applies across the board.
3. Bear Pits – do you know what a bear pit is? I do. I’m not a fan. But if you are interested in seeing one, HERE is a site that gives a good description of two pits within a few hours driving distance of Charlotte, NC. And here is a link for a bear pit. Very sad… http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacobkrejci/2729295975/
4. Waterfalls are one of my favorite things to see on a hike. Click HERE for a great site listing waterfalls in NC. I could stay on that site for days and still not read everything!
5. And if you want to go the Land of Waterfalls… Click HERE. *It’s in Transylvania, NC. But don’t worry, there are probably no vampires there.)
5. Hiking with kids? Go HERE. You’ll see why! (All within driving distance of Charlotte)
Got any good places to share? I’m always on the lookout for more hiking trails and hiking info!